Dr Bettina Hohnen
Clinical Psychologist services
Understand. Learn. Strengthen relationships.
It is my mission that as many children and teenagers as possible grow up in safe, nurturing environments that stretch them, so they can reach their potential while protecting their wellbeing. I work with adults in children’s lives to achieve this – parents, carers, teachers, professional and organisational teams who support young people.
The opportunity offered during childhood, where the brain’s natural state is growth and development, is huge. At the same time, childhood and the crucial teenage years are a time of vulnerability. We need to know what matters if we are to get this right.
I take the science, make it accessible and help adults create safe thriving environments for kids to grow up in – at home, in school and in the wider community. My superpower is creating safe spaces where adults can be vulnerable too and work through their barriers, because the science shows that warm, strong, resilient relationships are at the heart of wellbeing for us all.
Lecturing, consulting & public engagement
I have devoted my adult life to understanding what young people need to thrive and I’m keen to pass it on. Hire me to deliver meaningful & engaging lectures packed full of value for your audience.
- Your opportunity to get expert advice in specialist areas covering child mental health, teenager mental health and neurodiversity.
- Trust in me as an experienced and confident public speaker who loves to inject humour and warmth into the room, while educating and passing on my knowledge.
From inspiring stories to practical tips, I adapt my content to suit your goals – as an organisation, business or event.
Topics I cover
How to support kids to both be well & do well
The incredible teenage brain (for teachers, parents & organisations)
How to support your anxious child
Strengthening executive functions at home
Should we stress about stress?
Raising confident & resilient teenagers
A parents guide to supporting healthy friendships in their child
Neurodiversity in the classroom
Helping struggling kids become unstuck
Rekindling your child’s motivation
ADHD (Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder) the superpower
• talks • workshops • lectures • guest speaker • consultations •
I always think that true genius is when someone can take complex knowledge of an area and ‘translate’ it in a way that is comprehensible to people with only a vague knowledge of the subject. Bettina did just that and it was inspiring.
More of what I do
Publishing & Media
From writing a book to appearing on prominent panels discussing teenage mental health, discover how I can create inspiring educational content to support and nurture parent-child, teacher-child and other carer-child relationships.
- Hire me as a podcast guest
- Ask me to write an article or contribute comment
- Learn more about my book projects – current and future
Support & consultation for parents
If your child is struggling, it can feel like the hardest thing in the world. When do I push them? When do I protect them? What does the science say? What does a diagnosis mean for how I parent? Whether it’s a one-off consultation, some regular sessions or long-term support over many years, this is the work I love to do.
- Reflect on your own childhood to solve your own struggles
- Receive key ideas from neuroscience so you can understand your own child
- Specialist support to navigate your child’s diagnosis (e.g. ADHD)
- In London face-to-face or online